The Alchemy of Fiber


In fiber art the alchemy or "art of transformation" is achieved by taking raw fiber and "transforming" it into a new fabric.

This wall hanging is a perfect example of the various forms a batt of raw fiber can evolve into.

I started with a carded fiber batt. I found this beautiful batt at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival and it just spoke to me to do something creative with it.

I first spun some yarn from this batt. I spun a single ply yarn and let the fiber "do it's thing" for a really textural thick and thin yarn.

I then took the remainder of the batt and spread it out and wet felted the backdrop, again, letting the fiber do it's thing with the edge shaping.

I handsculpted a few little charms and needle felted them to the background, attached the knitted sample and crocheted a cord to hang it from the wall.

So there you have all of my fiber techniques in one piece of art. Spinning, felting, knitting, crochet and needlefelting.

This one of a kind wall sculpture can be found at my artisan shop at 1000 Markets

.http://www.1000markets.com/products/76099

No comments: